Thursday, July 11, 2013

Asbestos clouds

We left for a three week vacation in July.  We spent a few days in Spokane, Washington, meeting cousins and uncles as we said good bye to DH's Aunt.  Then we drove to Mount Ranier National Park and basked in the glory of those mountains.  Stunning.  We were staying at a family resort, and having a wonderful time.  One of the interesting things about places like that is you have no cell phone reception. There was also no internet but the lodge had a wireless spot in the recreation room.  I happened to be playing ping pong with the girls when I got a call from my Neighbor, LB. It's probably the only reason why the call came through.  LB had already left me a message. He had been calling all day.  TAD had decided to bulldoze the house next door while we were away.  LB was warning me about the asbestos shingles that had been on the house.  The wind was blowing from the south and massive clouds of dust had been blowing on my house.  LB had video recorded the whole thing.  He really was a wonderful neighbor.  TAD was putting a capitol A on the name A$$h@le. That's why he had been stalking me. He was trying to figure out a time when we wouldn't be home. We had been gone for less then a week and he had already done this. Clearly, TAD had been planning this.  I talked to LB. He was very angry and upset.  So was I.  TAD had been telling everybody that he wasn't going to bulldoze the house. he had clearly been lying to everyone.  I really hate sleazy people. Why can't people just be honest? " I spent an hour on the phone and on the internet trying to learn what I could about asbestos.  It was a long, frustrating hour.  Not only was I mad about his lying about bulldozing the house, but i was fairly certain that those were asbestos shingles.  He had contaminated my house, knew he was going to, and did it so that I couldn't defend my property.  If I moved six inches in either direction from the window, my call dropped.  We were four hours behind Jacksonville. A couple of asbestos people didn't want to get involved since the actual asbestos belonged to my neighbor.  One guy said it would wash away in the first hard rain.  But everything we read about asbestos said that it would stay in the soil. I tried calling the state. I tried calling the city.  Building and Zoning were not even answering the phones.  I had to leave a message.  TAD had been very calculating with his plans. It cast a pall over our vacation.  I warned our house sitter to wear a mask when she entered or existed our home.   We would be gone two more weeks.  This made it impossible for us to manage the situation in any way, let alone an ideal way. Score one for TAD.  Illegally demolishing and dumping asbestos without getting caught.  Of course, he just said that there was no asbestos shingles.  But he certainly didn't offer us a sample to prove it and put everything to rest for good.  He just kept using his mouth. I  nicknamed him the forked tongue devil.

No comments:

Post a Comment